Volunteer Income Tax Clinic
The Salvation Army Community and Family Services operate a Volunteer Income Tax Clinic annually from February to May for low-income families and individuals.
Serving the City of Kingston, the Volunteer Income Tax Clinic has been in operation since 1975. Over 40 volunteers prepare returns on behalf of the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Community Volunteer Income Tax Program.
Free Tax Preparation Services are for:
- Individuals with gross income (before deductions) under $30,000; or
- Single parent families with gross income (before deductions) under $35,000, or
- Couples with gross income (before deductions) under $40,000
- This service is available by appointment only.
Each person in the household requesting to file a return must attend the appointment. If you are unable to come to the Tax Clinic for health reasons, you may arrange to have a relative or friend come for you if you have given them Power of Attorney.
What to Bring:
Please bring your ID and SOCIAL INSURANCE NUMBER (SIN) and any of the following documents that you may have:
- Copy of last year’s (2015) Income Tax Return
- Notice of Assessment received from CRA after your 2015 Return was processed
- ALL ‘T’ slips received for your income ( e.g. T4, T4A(OAS), T4A, T4A(P), T4E, T5, T3, etc.)
- T5007 form received for Social Assistance, Workers’ Compensation, Disability Pensions
- All student tuition slips from Institution T2202(A)
- Last year’s rent receipts or Property Tax Receipt
- All medical receipts
- All charitable donation receipts
- All Public Transit Receipts
- Banking Information – Direct Deposit Form
By appointment ONLY:
- Only Ontario residents can take part (out-of-province returns cannot be done)
- E-filing is available. In the event e-filing is not available due to technical difficulties, the accountants will prepare paper copies of the Tax Return and clients will be responsible for mailing their completed return to the Canada Revenue Agency.
The Salvation Army
Community & Family Service
342 Patrick Street
Kingston, ON K7K 6R6
If you reach the answering service, leave your name and telephone number and your call will be returned as soon as possible to book your appointment.
The Volunteer Income Tax Clinic operates solely on donations.